Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The Universe & Your Blue Eyes

Like any girl, I'm a sucker for lyrics that are guaranteed to make your heart melt the instant that the words hit your ears. I'll admit to having songs like 'My Heart Will Go On' and power ballads from bands like Styx. Not that there's anything wrong with a good power ballad, don't get me wrong, but there's something about an indie love song that for some reason or another just makes me turn my head and smile. So even though I'm nine days too late, you could be right on time with this short and sweet ten song mix tape.


Track One: 'Could Be Anything' by The Eames Era - This punchy little number was featured on the the TV show Grey's Anatomy (known for using unknown artists to provide their soundtracks) and the song has been widely played on college radio stations around the country. It gives fun lyrics with a melody to match; it's a great kick off for a mix and a new relationship.


Track Two: 'The Ocean' by Mae - Mae has a pretty amazing library of songs to choose from, so this was hard, but it's lyrics like this that really get you. 'You come over unannounced/Silence broken by your voice in the dark/I need you here tonight/Just like the ocean needs the waves./Fall around me now/like stars the shine and brighten the way./I need here tonight/just like this night needs the rain.' Okay, so maybe I put a bit much for that, but if somebody was telling you that, I'm pretty sure that you'd be smitten rather quickly.


Track Three: 'The Way I Am' by Ingrid Michaelson - In this short little number, Ingrid bares her soul to let this person know exactly how she feels. Insert some handclaps for good measure and you've got the perfect song to hum along to when you've got a certain someone on your mind.


Track Four: 'Halloween' by Matt Pond PA - I'm not going to lie, I listened to this song over and over again during the fall. As a friend of mine said, 'it reminds me of leaves falling, pumpkin patches and cuddling in sweatshirts.' I don't think they could have put it any better.


Track Five: 'Blue Eyes' by Cary Brothers - Featured on the Garden State soundtrack, this song is enough to make even those with brown pupils fall in love all over again. With a strong acoustic background and a scruffy voice, he pulls together a fantastic little number. The lyrics aren't half bad either, 'Fess it up, dot on the palm of your hand/I can help you to stand/Saved it up for this dance/Tell me all the things you can.' Note: you may not want to use this song if your significant other doesn't have blue eyes, they may become irritated or think that you forgot their eye color.


Track Six: 'Passenger Seat' by Death Cab for Cutie - I've talked about them before and I'll talk about them again. 'Passenger Seat' is Ben Gibbard and a piano, paired with amazing lyrics about letting your guard down and includes one of my favorite lyrical lines ever, 'when you feel embarrased, then I'll be your pride/when you need directions, then I'll be the guide/for all time.' Yes, as usual, Ben Gibbard wins me over with this one.


Track Seven: 'Sleep' by Azure Ray - This song itself means a lot to me. I found it at a time when I was at a huge fork in the road, and to say it helped me make my decision on which path to go would be an understatement, it simply pulled me in the direction, and I'm glad it did. It features haunting lyrics ('And so I'm reaching out for the one/And so I've learned the meaning of the sun/And all this like a message comes to shift my point of view/And watching through my own light as it tints the shade of you') and amazing key changes, this song leaves you feeling surprisingly warm and fuzzy inside.


Track Eight: 'Wait' by Get Set Go - In less than three minutes, the band clearly lets you know that if you wait for things to be perfect and just right, you might actually blow it. Thank goodness somebody said it. The cute little 'la-la's and oo-oo's' also add to the charm of this number.


Track Nine: 'Love, Love, Love (Love, Love) by As Tall As Lions - This song is clearly full of love, and is perfect for anyone who just wants to scream (or...sing melodically) off the highest building. Being the light and airy tune that it is, it is just perfect for telling someone exactly how you feel without putting any added pressure into the mix.


Track Ten: 'Universe & U (Acoustic Extravaganza)' by KT Tunstall - Okay, no grammar lessons on the title please. This song is the perfect way to end this lovely little mix. Tunstall's voice paired with amazing lyrics and her guitar playing lead you into one fantastic and low-key song about you can feel about someone, even if your miles away from them. With lyrics like this, 'You know there's no need to hide away/You know I tell the truth, we are just the same/I can feel everything you do/Everything you say/Even when you're miles away/Cos I am me the universe and you.' I can almost forgive her for singing that horrible 'Black Horse and A Cherry Tree' song.


I'm going to attempt to find a website that will allow me to make a playlist and post it on here. I know that they're out there, but finding the songs might take a bit, so hold tight. However, feel free to listen to theses songs by clicking on the links provided: here (Matt Pond PA), here (Get Set Go), here (Cary Brothers) and here (Azure Ray).

Til next time, keep it real kids.



P.S. I'm also not responsible for any claims of stalkers, post-mix-tape-giving break-ups, or any other relationship problems that may ensue after the handing over of the mix tape.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, nice playlist. Anyway, if you're looking for a good playlist maker check out "Project Playlist." Google it, but I think the URL is just www.playlist.com. Keep on writing!