Sunday, March 16, 2008

Surprises?! I Love Surprises!


So I'm trying to cut back on my myspace usage, I really am. But after today there's clearly a reason that I surf this site a little bit too much. John Ralston, who yes, I realize I wrote a blog about a mere 19 days ago, is just too amazing that it would be horrible for me not to give him any attention. But back to the main point (as I assure you there is one) this little EP entitled White Spiders was released March 11 on iTunes and March 4 on eMusic.


And the five songs for a price tag of $2.99 on iTunes is cheaper than normal, which works out quite fine for my budget, not to mention my ears. Since this EP is only available online, I had no choice but to go digital for this purchase. White Spiders has a much lighter tone than Ralston's previous albums, and the tracks bounce along on this little acoustic wonder.


The title track, 'White Spiders' opens this disc with a sound that is slightly in tune with that of The Shins, with a pure acoustic sound. The lyrics are great as well, ending with; 'sky writers are writing white smoke on blue/ they were building an empire out of me and you.' 'Blood Thirsty' is a short and sweet little number that bounces along with a simple percussion part that speaks of 'blood thirsty angels bouncing around the room.'


'Don't Go to Sleep' is the third song on the 13 minute album and is again reminiscent of The Shins, boasting lyrics in it's chorus stating, 'just don't go to sleep/ don't go to sleep/ I need you to be here looking after me.' The longest song on the album, 'Jenny With the Long Dark Hair' is the summer fling love song that nearly everyone can relate to in some way or another. 'Room With a View' is another Ralston classic in the making. The song goes on to talk about a relationship in which he nkows he will never be able to be there for the other person.


Overall this surprise EP is addicting to the ears and proves that once more John Ralston has won me over with his mere simplicity in sound and amazing lyrics.

No comments: