Wednesday, March 19, 2008

William Tell Isn't Just An Overture Anymore...

Okay, so honestly the first thing I used to think of when I heard 'William Tell' was the famous overture. I don't however think of the former guitarist for the band Something Corporate. So wasn't I amazed a few months ago when I saw that he too started a solo project endeavor like those of band mates Andrew McMahon and Brian Ireland (by way of joining the band Streamline as their drummer).

So why exactly should you care?

Well, mostly because I'm telling you to, but mainly because most artists with actual talent don't seem to get the recognition that they rightfully deserve. Tell's CD entitled You Can Hold Me Down was released March 13, 2007, and unfortunately (for people like me) most of us knew nothing about it. I didn't find out anything about his solo release until I was looking up information on his previous band, Something Corporate, on Wikipedia.

Thus further prompting further investigation on my part to see (or hear, if you please) what on Earth this could sound like.


And I have to admit, I was pleasantly surprised. Although it doesn't quite compare to the solo debute by McMahon, it is original and edgy in it's own right. With it's pop-piano sound slightly similar to that of Something Corporate but with Tell's free range on the lyrics and guitar, it is blended together to create the California style that I'm quite used to hearing. Notable tracks include 'Slipping Under (Sing Along to Your Favorite Song), 'Fairfax (You're Still the Same)', and of course the track from which the CD gets it's name, 'You Can Hold Me Down'.

With seven other tracks to add to the list, there is definately something for everyone to bob their heads to in delight. See below for a youtube video (by a fan) of a live performance of 'Slipping Under' or visit his myspace page for more songs and extra information.


No comments: