Tuesday, April 8, 2008

AKA: Brittany Needs to Find More Music




So there's three things that everyone should know about me: I like music, a lot (although that should be painfully obvious by now), I love to shop, and I love knowing about places that include both. So naturally, when I was exposed to a place that puts all three of these things in one, I'm going to be entranced. And speechless. Which I was when I walked into AKA Music in Philadelphia. I had no clue what to do with myself.

I tried to contain my excitment (and my dumbfounded look) as I walked through the store, and I browsed through everything since I really had no clue where to begin or what exactly I was looking for. But I will say this: if you go in there and can't find anything, you might have a problem. Their selection spans pretty much every genre from world to rock, rap and hip hop, indie, jazz, big band, local...I'm pretty sure you get my point.

And the prices are what I consider to be quite reasonable, since they deal with both new releases, used CDs, and vinyl. But back to the prices...new releases priced about the same as they would be at your local Best Buy, but the deals come in when you go searching through the used CDs. Their newer selection of used CDs starts at 99 cents. Yes, exactly, only 99 cents. Now, it requires you to have a watchful eye because you have to search through neatly packed boxes, but you can't go wrong. After that the prices go up a bit, but you're able to find that most used CDs are between $5 and $10 each.

So seriously, if you ever take a trip to Philadelphia, or you live there and have never been to AKA Music, I recomment that you make your way there ASAP. Find more information on their myspace site here, or head down to 27 N. Second Street Philadelphia PA.

It's heaven. Promise. Even if it makes you feel like you've never listened to any decent music before.

1 comment:

Noelle said...

oh oh. you ever been to the hearth? i go to the pottsville diner. a pretty shitty establishment; your roomie would stick her nose up at it, but the food is bangin.