Thursday, April 17, 2008

Somebody Asked Me A Tough Question (Sad Face)

Last night, someone asked me what I consider to be a tough question. To some, it may not seem like it's that big of a deal, but to me it was pretty tough to answer. So now, the tough question that was given to me?

What is your favorite song?

Well to be honest I was about ready to cry. I sat around for about ten minutes before stating quite simply that I had no idea. So I was inspired. Why not write down some of my favorite songs but just to give me a better idea, not actually forcing me to actually pick a favorite song, which apparently is clearly impossible for me to do.

So my Top 5 favorite songs, in no particular order:

Cue the Sun - Daphne Loves Derby - I've been in love with Daphne Loves Derby for about six years, but when I heard this song last summer, I fell hard. With it's simple acoustic sound, excellent lyrics and even a harmonica (score...really that adds points) this song just makes me feel warm and fuzzy all over.

Hamburg Song - Keane - When Under the Iron Sea came out in 2006, this song stuck out to me like the North Star in the night sky (go ahead and make fun of me for that but it's true). The song itself holds a lot of meaning for my close friends and I, each in different ways. But honestly for me it's the lyrics that get me, like most of the songs that I love. If I could post the whole lyrics to the song here I would, but I'll link it and you can just go read them for yourself.

Slipping Away - Moby - I've been listening to Moby a lot lately, and some of his songs are amazing, even without lyrics. The song is off of his 2005 album Hotel, and although there are plenty of other amazing songs off of the two disc release, just read this please:

Open to everything happy and sad
Seeing the good when it's all going bad
Seeing the sun when I can't really see
Hoping the sun will at least look at me
Focus on everything better today
All that I needed I never could say
Hold on to people, they're slipping away
Hold on to this while it's slipping away

Two words, my friends: Freaking Amazing.

I Want to Know Your Plans - Say Anything - For once, the musical aspect of this song outweighs the lyrics for me. Although both are amazingly fantastic in their own right, I can't down either, but the music to me is what makes this song complete. And it's a song about love, so of course I'm all for it.

Pieces of the People We Love - The Rapture - Someone (a very awesome someone) introduced me to The Rapture over the summer, and let me tell you...I love them. Their sound is quite original and this song reminds me so much of the summer that it makes me want to lounge by the pool or hang out on the beach. It's also really great for summer parties...just sayin'.

So, there, my five favorite songs. And although there happen to be oodles more that I love, these five stand out to me the most.

Also, this post is dedicated to my dear friend SAMM. Who owes me a York Peppermint Patty on Tuesday. ;-)

2 comments:

samm said...

Simply wonderful. You've given your music a very human and personal face. Excellent. By the way, think of a number ...

Jesse said...

I like the way you write –good post. I have a limited palette when it comes to everything: music, food, games, people... whatever, so I guess I have the opposite problem when it comes to picking favorites. My favorite song changes at least once a year because I'll only really like one song at a time (I'm very obsessive about everything), and then I just get sick of it/overplay it or it loses it's effect. My favorite song right now? ... I don't even know because my iPod's been broken! Haven't been listenin to music enough.

Sorry about the peppermint patty, but I suppose it was the thought that ticked you off (since you didn't accept it when I offered it to you).

Jesse