Wednesday, April 30, 2008

I'm Thinking (and Feeling) Songs Of Summer...

I've got 5 days of school left, and summer and the promises of ice cream, baseball games, sunny days and vacations to the beach have left me in anything but the mood to study.

So I've been trying to avoid songs the suggest summer, but let me tell you, it's so hard. They are everywhere. 

It's impossible to escape them, believe me... I've been trying.

Some of my favorites to kick back and sign along to? I'm glad you asked.

'The Garden' - Cut Chemist - Not exactly sing along to material, but has the perfect rhythm for a lazy day by the pool. I'm addicted to it even though I have no clue what the girl who is singing happens to be saying.

'Everybody Wants To Rule The World' - Tears For Fears - Okay so scorn me for the fact that a) it's not indie and b) it's from the 80's (my favorite decade by far, wish I could have spent more time in it), but this song is to me, classic teenage summer rebellion song. And hello, it was in the fantastic movie Real Genius. 

'Atoms for Peace' - Thom Yorke - Yes, the lead singer for Radiohead released some solo work in 2006, and this happens to be my favorite song from the disc. It's relaxing, making it perfect for lazy summer nights.

'Dusk and Summer' - Dashboard Confessional - Off of the 2006 release in which the song gets it's name, you can expect some pretty beachy tunes to come off the CD. And you can't deny it, there are some great tracks that you can listen to over and over while in front of the waves. Rumor has it that Chris Carrabba and the crew are back in the studio....I'm looking forward to finding out if that's true (don't worry, I'll let you know!).

'Satellite' - Guster - Anyone who knows me personally knows that I obnoxiously sing this song when ever I get the chance. Why not listen to it and do the same? It's perfect to shout out while running through the nice cool grass. For a change of pace try out The Astronaut's Radio Remix. I'm sure that the fact they both have to do with space is sheer coincidence. 

'Brighter Than Sunshine' - Aqualung - Ya know, for the cloudy days that summer might bring.

'New Soul' - Yael Naim - Quite honestly, this song just makes me want to stand up and dance around. I think I'd even be content dancing around in the rain if this song was on. And I know someone else who feels the same way about this song.

Others to consider: 'Mushaboom' - The Postal Service Remix, 'Talking Like Turnstiles' - Death Cab for Cutie, 'Holiday From Real' - Jack's Mannequin, 'Sitting, Waiting, Wishing' - Jack Johnson, and (another blast from the past) 'Take On Me' - A-ha.

Happy summer everyone!

1 comment:

samm said...

Impressive display of musical knowledge.